Main Purpose of the Job
The main focus of the role will be the dispatch and management of the operational Patient Transport Service crews to ensure timely and efficient collection and delivery of patients between destinations and achieving contractual targets. Working at an operational base, the post holder will provide a friendly, efficient planning, booking and dispatch service for non-emergency patient transport (PTS) across Staffordshire. The post holder will be able to support the coordination and management of the end to end patient transport pathway. This may at times include the management of third party providers (Taxi, Volunteers).
Main Duties and Responsibilities of the Role (list / outline)
- Actively plan and control live and future patient journeys by allocating booked patient to vehicles for transportation to hospital appointments using the Cleric System. This is achieved by correctly allocating the patient to the suitable vehicle for each patient’s mobility, taking into account appointment and journey time, service level agreement and contractual requirements.
- To receive in an accurate, effective and polite manner, requests for patient transport and queries regarding ambulance journeys, ensuring compliance with relevant service procedures and standing orders.
- To have a working knowledge of patient eligibility criteria and Patient Transport Services.
- Undertake general clerical duties including but not exclusive to checking booking lists, data input, completing ad-hoc forms/invoices as necessary.
- Provide feedback and guidance to booking advisors where issues are identified on an ad-hoc basis and liaise with the Dispatch Team for any recurring issues and to work with the team on actions plans to put corrective actions in place.
- As a key member of the team, the post holder will contribute to maintaining and enhancing the performance and quality of service offered to patients and customers.
- Have a good working knowledge of the vehicle tracking system and patient transport software (Cleric) following induction training.
- Liaise with the transport and operational teams as and when required to make adjustments to the schedule as and when issues are identified to ensure minimized impact on the patient experience. Liaise with control and operational managers to resolve any vehicle resource deficiencies to meet service and contractual demands
- Relay relevant information and changes to the crews as and when required to ensure full and correct understanding of changes and corrective actions required to ensure the successful delivery of Patient Transport Services.
- Deal promptly, professionally and efficiently with all telephone calls received taking appropriate action on own initiative where required.
- Maintain patient flow across all control areas through effective liaison with colleagues and hospital staff and prompt resolution of urgent problems and appropriate responses to unplanned events.
- To constantly review patient journeys and re-allocate staff and vehicle resources by utilizing vehicle tracking systems to meet contractual requirements
- Have an awareness and comply with all business policy and procedure.
- Maintain an open participative style of working practices consistent with the provision of an effective and professional service.
- Support the business and the roles of other team members, assisting in the completion of their duties as and when required.
- Provide a flexible, co-operative role covering for the absence of colleagues and the demands of the department. This may require working at other locations and some weekends and bank holidays, on a rota basis.
- Liaise with the Operational Supervisors to ensure the effective and efficient use of resources and for the resolution of problems.
- Utilise, to maximum effect, telecommunications and IT equipment, within the call centre environment, ensuring any defects or malfunctions or equipment are reported.
- Ensure appropriate liaison with other agencies such as GP’s, Nursing Homes, Hospital Clinics and Wards regarding booking issues when required.
- Ensure compliance with patient care and safety protocols and guidelines.
- Maintain a high standard of housekeeping and cleanliness in all work areas.
- Contribute to projects and initiatives aimed at improving patient care and service delivery and improved productivity
- Liaise with operational management in regards to patient risk assessment requirements
- Display a high level of Customer Care when dealing with hospitals, patients and relatives and maintain confidentiality of patient data.
Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
- Post holders have a responsibility for safeguarding children and vulnerable adults in the course of their daily duties and for ensuring that they are aware of the specific duties relating to their role.
- Promote the protection of children and vulnerable adults by adhering to relevant guidance and procedures.
Policies and Procedures
- Individuals are also required to comply with the policies, procedures and protocols in place within the business. (These are available from the Human Resources department or operations teams).
- Ensure own compliance with the business’s policies, procedures and current legislation.
- Adopt a polite, professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Maintain a professional working relationship with patients, carers, members of the public, colleagues and other health and social care professionals.
- Key relationships include:
- ERS Medical team
- Operations teams
- Demonstrate effective and appropriate skills in communicating information, to colleagues, patients and relatives.
Governance and Security
- Support the business to act safely and responsibly in relation to staff, patients, and the communities in which they work.
- Ensure that the law in key areas such as health and safety, and Information Governance is complied with in your work area.
- Ensure incidents are reported through ERS Medicals’ reporting system.
- Comply with health, safety and security issues in your work area.
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and communication skills.
- Computer literate - knowledge of Microsoft Office, Personnel and Payroll Packages
- Self motivated, reliable and enthusiastic
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight time scales
- Logical, concise, innovative thinker
- Customer service focus and multi site experience
- Confident communicator
- Flexible professional with a “Can do and will do” attitude
This job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances, in discussion with the post-holder. Due to of the nature of the work, this post is exempt from the provision (42) of the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 (Exemptions) order 1975. The post holder will therefore be required to apply for DBS check.